It’s no secret that accounting firms and internal finance departments alike have been overwhelmed and understaffed due to a declining number of available employees for hire. There is a shortage of accountants and it doesn’t appear to be improving – especially with increasing anxiety over the myth that accountants will be replaced by AI. This conversation often paints a picture of doom and gloom, but I encourage you to take another look. As you read on, you will see a brighter future for all accounting professionals, new and experienced.
Here’s a fresh take on this negative conversation:
What if there was a way to turn this challenge into an opportunity?
There is – and it’s a game-changer – AI-powered accounting automation software.
Why should you jump on the AI bandwagon?
If when you hear AI you imagine a magic robot handling your ledger book, shelve that for a minute. Modern AI automation accounting software is all about efficient algorithms and user-friendly interfaces that simplify processes, optimize operations, eradicate errors, and offer you on-demand and real-time financial insights. By joining this revolution you put your organization into pole position and your new reality is a world of productivity, efficiency, accuracy, and success! And given the current workforce challenges, now is the perfect time to shore up your processes and embrace this transformational journey.
Seize the Opportunities Offered by AI-powered Accounting Software
- Optimize Productivity: With AI automation accounting software, routine tasks like data entry, invoice processing, and bank reconciliations are performed in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same tasks manually. What does this mean for you? When you’re short-staffed, AI can take over these mundane tasks and take on the work overflow. AI-powered accounting solutions now offer a more streamlined way to work with clients on document collection and management, process invoices through automated extraction of data from financial documents, and auto-categorization and auto-matching of transactions.
Once you reach optimal staffing levels, your accounting team will be available to engage in higher-value activities. For example, more free time to focus on strategic initiatives, like expansion and realizing new revenue streams, or time to implement team initiatives like better training programs and honing new skills.
- Reduce Errors: We know human error is a natural part of life, and the consequences can be insignificant in many instances. But when it comes to numbers, those small mistakes can quickly add up (from a time and cost perspective), and to a small business owner, the consequences can be devastating. When you are short-staffed, overworked, and sleep-deprived, the potential for mistakes grows exponentially. Fortunately, AI advancements radically elevate accounting with improved precision. It can handle processing large volumes of data, which means it can process and handle accounting workflows at a larger capacity and at speed.
- Empower Informed Decision Making: Building a growth strategy can be challenging without quantifying projections, qualifying trends through historical data, or understanding the financial health of the business. Gathering these pieces manually takes enormous time, with or without a fully staffed accounting staff. With an AI-powered accounting system by your side, you not only have accurate data capturing historical trends but also real-time insight into your financial data at your fingertips.
The Elephant in the Room: Accountant Shortage
While AI may seem like a solution to the current lack of human resources in the accounting industry, a part of you may be wondering if AI is actually exacerbating the problem. On the contrary, consider AI as your non-human counterpart designed to enhance your accounting practices, not replace the professional minds necessary to run your business. Although AI has undoubtedly had a significant impact on the industry and eases the load of an understaffed workforce, it is never going to be a replacement for qualified human beings.
And here’s why:
AI-powered accounting software is based on machine learning, which means it requires human input and will continue to grow intelligence about your business from your input over time. In addition, it is predominantly designed to take manual, repetitive tasks off of your plate to improve efficiencies and reduce errors. This actually allows accountants to evolve into roles that require human touch, understanding, and biased or emotional input—such as advising, counseling, and strategic planning. Ultimately, AI is a tool to increase performance and optimize the business.
So, where do you begin? When do you implement AI?
- Determine Your Needs: Prior to adopting an AI-driven accounting platform, it is essential to identify and understand the operational processes within your firm, small business, or internal finance department that could benefit the most from automation. This is vital information you will need to guide you through the process of selecting the best software for your team.
- Training and Integration: Like any other tool or system integration implementation, there will be a learning curve. You want to make sure that you set proper expectations and communicate accordingly both internally and externally depending on your particular business. In addition, it is essential to make sure your team receives proper training and is afforded the time to train and transition. This not only improves interoperability but also increases reliability in using the software.
- Stay Updated: Technology never sleeps and the world of AI is constantly evolving. Staying up-to-date ensures that your company maintains its competitive edge and benefits from the latest trends, innovations, and updates.
One thing we know is the current shortage of accountants is indeed a concern but has also created an opportunity. An opportunity for accounting professionals, companies, and corporate leaders to innovate, simplify, and level up their game. With the power of AI accounting software, you’re not just solving a current business challenge—you’re setting yourself up for future success. So, why wait? Seize the opportunity!